Friday 25 November 2011

Skyward Sword Shows How Awesome the Zelda Series is


I have only finished the first two temples in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword but it doesn't take anywhere near that length of playtime to realise that this is a special game.  First of all the game is gorgeous to look at.  I know its on the Wii but the manner in which the game is presented is amazing.  I recently finished Xenoblade Chronicles and I thought that had pushed the limit on the graphics for the Wii, but Skyward Sword tops it in every way.

The whole game looks like an impressionist painting
The motion controls in Skyward Sword are the best I've encountered in any game.  The one to one motion tracking makes every sword swing feel realistic and even routine sword fights that were tedious button bashing affairs in previous games now require thought to break through an enemies defense. Wildly swinging will rarely result in you not getting hit at least once (unless you are up against small fry)

The story is usual Zelda fare.  Zelda goes missing early on in the game and it is your task to find her. Cue the field exploration (this time set in the sky as opposed to the sea or a field) and temples (each with a new gadget and an end boss).  Although this sounds very familiar the control scheme and the artistic graphics always make it feel fresh.

The music is one thing I haven't really noticed as yet.  Music has always been a strong part of the Zelda series.  I have heard the Harp instrument in Skyward Sword is disappointing but I have yet to encounter this yet.  I came across this fan made Zelda tribute album today which gave me a bit of a nostalgia trip, especially this song.

There is so much of this game I have not played and I think it could be the best game I have played for quite some time (and I play alot of games). I seriously I have loads of University work to do, but Skyward Sword is calling me... 

No comments:

Post a Comment